Marsh Pumps

Apart from the High Mill at Berney Arms the whole of the Halvergate Marshes surrounding it is dotted with wind pumps used for draining the marshes in times gone by. Almost all of these have now fallen into disrepair, most being without sails and minus their internal machinery but they still make an interesting sight standing tall against the flat landscape.

  Picture Gallery (Click on picture for larger view)
    Muttons Mill
This Mill was last worked in 1947 by Fred Mutton from whom it got its name although it was also referred to as Manor House Mill. In 1984 a new cap and fantail were fitted followed by one set of sails in 1998.
(April 3rd 2002)
    Lockgate Mill
Near the Breydon Pump and at the point where the Reedham to Yarmouth railway line passes close to Breydon water stands Lockgate Mill which last worked in 1947. The tower is four storeys high and carried four sails which blew down in 1953. They were used to drive a 19 foot diameter scoop wheel, the metalwork of which can be seen in this view.
(April 3rd 2002)
    Internal mechanism at Lockgate Mill
Looking worse for wear but not beyond repair the internal geared ring can be seen. This ring is driven by the upright shaft and itself drives the horizontal shaft on which the scoop wheel would fit.
(April 3rd 2002)
    Lockgate Mill tower
Looking upwards inside the tower of Lockgate Mill one of the internal floors can be seen along with the main upright shaft which would be driven by the windshaft on which the sails rotated.
(April 3rd 2002)
    Lockgate Mill gears
Resting against the side of the tower wall this is likely the gear wheel which was used to drive the geared ring of the scoop wheel shaft. Hopefully, one day it will all fit together again.
(April 3rd 2002)
    Stracey Arms Mill
The small restored windpump at Stracey Arms, close to the A47 and the Halvergate Marshes, makes a welcome sight for both river and road travellers.
(Late 1990s - copyright Mark Healy)
    Cadge's Mill
This mill, one of a cluster of three situated close to Seven Mile House, is today minus cap and sails. It was built around 1880 and last worked in 1941.
(September 15th 2002)
    Cadge's Mill near Seven Mile House
Cadge's Mill at Seven Mile House is one of the early candidates for restoration under the "Land of the Windmills" project organised by the Norfolk Mills and Pumps Trust. The project aims to restore more of the old derelict drainage mills to complete or working order, thus enhancing the Broads scenery and acknowledging their contribution to making the Broads landscape what it is today.
(August 15th 2003)
    Polkey's Mill & Seven Mile House
Seven Mile House was given its name due to its distance from Great Yarmouth. The nearby Polkey's Mill was built sometime prior to 1880 and still supports the remains of its sails. Full restoration to working order is due to start in late 2002 and will be carried out by millwright Vincent Pargeter as part of the Norfolk Windmill Trust's renovation scheme.
(September 15th 2002)
    Polkey's Mill dereliction
Polkey's Mill takes its name from Polkey Thaxter, the marshman who once looked after it. The mill has undergone many alterations during its working life. Originally it may have been an octagonal wooden smock type mill, as secondhand smock mill beams have been found reused in the construction of the first floor. It has been raised in height at least once, but the old cap was retained. Originally the cap would have been turned by a wooden pole from ground level and the sails would have been spread with canvas cloth. Later the mill was equipped with patent shuttered self-reefing sails, and an automatic fantail to turn the cap to the wind at all times. The mill drove a scoop-wheel, i.e. a paddle wheel in a brick channel which lifted the water from the marshes through a hinged gate into the river.
(2002 - copyright Vincent Pargeter)
    Polkey's Mill restored
Now back to its former glory after full restoration, Polkey's Mill adds a much welcome view to a riverside journey.
(October 2006 - copyright Dave Rogers)